September 21, 2008

The spot news photojournalist's new best friend - Apple's iPhone




For the past couple of months while on spot news event assignments I try to make photos with my iPhone and send them in to the paper so we can have breaking news for our website. It has worked out pretty well you can see more cool photos made with iPhone cameras by photojournalists here.

The photo below was made with a Canon 5D, to prove that while the quality of the Canon 5D is amazing, for the web the iPhone image quality is really nice. When you take into consideration it is a 2 megapixel camera versus the colossal 12.8 mpix 5D.




Josh Pope of Vinemont documents a train derailment in Cullman County Thursday, Aug. 28, 2008. No one was injured and no hazardous materials were spilled.





On Tuesday, August 5, 2008 a photo of a house fire in Town Creek made it on the front page of our website. The photo was made at the scene and emailed moments after it was taken. This gives the editor a chance to post breaking news to the website without waiting until I return to the office.





When hurricane Gustav was threatening landfall most of Louisiana was evacuated. Calhoun Community college housed about 300 evacuees for about a week. The Sunday before they arrived I went to make photos of the cots and quarters in the gym on campus. Later I traveled to nearby Priceville to see if anyone had booked their shelter. In transit I emailed a photo to the editor and it was uploaded by the time I got back to the office with the images from my SLR (single-lens-reflex) cameras.

No comments: