February 6, 2008

Covering Catastrophies






There was a call on my phone this morning at 7:15 am from my boss. The night before there was a tornado that touched down in our coverage area and my certainty that he was going to ask me to photograph the damage was halted when he said, "There is a old home on fire can you go make a photo." Sure I told him then he said after I did that to go to the airport and make photographs from the air of the damage area from the tornado. Later this afternoon there was another call for the fire departements to put out a blaze near the office. Two fires and a killer tornado in less than twelve hours. We need some rainbows or white pigeons flying over to give us hope.




A fire destroyed a vacant home on U.S. 31 north of Decatur, Ala., at the former Hitt's Home Furnishings. The Blaxton family owned the property but were not living in the home at the time of the fire. Patsy Blaxton, left, embraces her daughter Julie Jenkins.



Kevin Hargett checks personal on 10th Avenue SW in Decatur, Ala., after a home caught fire on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2008.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Word on the street is that the aerial made it to the NY Times homepage.

See you Saturday.

Britney McIntosh said...

Word on the street is right, I saw you in the times today!