May 8, 2007

Right Light.


A Prolific National Geographic photographer once said

"As I have practiced it, photography produces pleasure by simplicity. I see something special and show it to the camera. A picture is produced. The moment is held until someone sees it. Then it is theirs."

I like this quote for a couple of reasons. First off because I have heard rumors from time to time about photographers plagariazing other photographs. But if one uses this quote as their guide for seeing a photograph another has seen and then making it theirs one might not feel so bad. Also this quote is to me an open ended challenge to make a photograph that you have seen before and try to give it your signature. Now not all attempts will be successes but at least one will have the chance to make something great happen in their own way. All that said last year I saw a photograph taken by a photographer at the Herald Leader in Lexington, Ky. named Charles Bertram. Bertram is a great photographer whose keen sense of composition continue to inspire me all the way down in Alabama. He made a photograph of Roger Clemmons as he returned to baseball playing some farm team ball in Lexington. The image is not earth shattering but I liked it an have been trying ever since to make a similar image. Well May 7th was the day, right light, right lens, right timing. Thanks for the inspiration Charles, even though I know you will never read this thanks anyway. To see Bertrams' slideshow cilck here it is slide no. 18.

No comments: