November 3, 2008

Candy Corn; Why does it look the way it does?




Most people who know me would say I am full of useless information. That may indicate that I am full of crap. Or it could mean at random times such as in trivia games or when friends are disputing an obscure reference, I am their man.

This quest for useless information drove me to the genesis of this post. As you see below candy corn is arranged in a circle array. I have polled many people asking them this question: Why does candy corn look the way it does? I don't think I have met one person that knows why. So in the post Halloween tooth decay sessions many of you are having, you will soon know.

The triangle shaped conglomeration of corn syrup and artificial coloring is segmented into three sections. White, orange and yellow. If arranged in a way that creates a circle one could note that the circle shape resembles a cross section of a corn cob. There you go and now you know.



No comments: